Is it really necessary to exercise? If your answer is "No," I could say, you're right. That is if you enjoy being sick, short on energy, and limited in your range of motion for all of your joints.
I see many overweight people - either slightly or greatly. I already know their excuses. "I don't have time." "I'm too busy." "Oh, I plan on starting next week." "Can't do anything with my bad knee." "I can't afford a gym membership." "It's in my genes. I was born to be fat."
The real reason behind ALL excuses is that people don't want to leave their comfort zone. Watching too much television, surfing the internet, and not waking up earlier to exercise are comfort zones.
People need to get out of their comfort zones. Life is too short. It'll fly by too quick. The thing will come at them quick before they could do something about it. What thing? For many people, it'll be a heart attack, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke. Name any disease, people will get it.
Why do we exercise? Sure, we want to look good. We want to look toned up or muscular. We want that six-pack abs. We want stronger legs. , can we forget about looks for a minute? The real reason for exercising is to maintain a great health or to improve health. We all need to exercise at least 5 times a week for the rest of our lives. So we don't get any extra fat that will lead to being overweight, that will lead to high blood pressure and limited energy, and that will lead to diabetes and heart and/or breathing problems, which could lead to a stroke or heart attack, which could result in premature, early death. I'm sorry to scare you but that ought to wake you up and start exercising!
Also, people should start thinking about their family and the future. I'm sure anybody doesn't want to miss their grandchild graduate from high school. Or a grandchild's wedding. Ok. If the person doesn't miss it, but will the person be healthy? Wouldn't that person want to actually PLAY with their grandchild instead of sitting in a rocking chair? If you chose to want to be a healthy grandparent or even a great grandparent in the future, then start exercising NOW.
I know I would choose to be the grandfather who tosses a football to his grandson. I wouldn't want to be in a rocking chair. Nor with an oxygen tank. I'm going to work out in an hour with that in mind! A healthy, active grandfather.
Paul Johnson, CPT

No comments:
Post a Comment